21st IUC – BUDAPEST – 2015 – Official report
The International Umpire Course was a great success. It was conducted by Grand Master Wim Bos, Master Alberto Katz and Master Harry Vones in Budapest (Hungary) on February 14-15, 2015.
Finally 138 persons got the ITF Umpire Certificate from the registered 153 persons representing 24 countries, even a lot of Masters with 7th and 8th degree. These numbers made this IUC the second largest considering the number of participants and the first considering the represented countries among the IUCs organized ever.
The precious event took place in the Danubius Health Spa Resort Helia in Budapest on the bank of the river Danube.
The leaders – Grand Master Bos, Master Katz and Master Vones, and Master Coos van den Heuvel and Master Juan Ferrando – arrived to Budapest on Thursday. They had a warm reception from Master László Harmat, the founder of the Hungarian ITF Taekwondo and Péter Szász, the president of the organizing committee.
Before the 21st IUC a lot of work and discussions were completed wholly lead by Master Katz and Master Vones with the help of emails and videoconferences. Master Katz performed and coordinated the preparation works by adding his huge professional experience and knowledge.
On Friday Grand Master Bos, Master Ferrando, Master Coos and Master Alexander Dunbar accompanied by Master László Harmat and Péter Szász visited the planned locations of the ITF Taekwon-Do World Cup to be held in Budapest in October, 2016: 3 hotels and 2 biggest sport halls.
While the Committee visited the locations of the planned World Cup Master Katz and Master Vones planned, prepared and tailor-made the events of the forthcoming two days. And the Masters conducted a 3-hours long course on software operation to the three IT professionals of the organizing committee.
On Saturday morning, after Master Katz and Master Vones prepared the room for the course and the participants arrived to their place, Master László Harmat, the founder of the Hungarian ITF Taekwon-do asked Grand Master Wim Bos, the director of the ITF to open the 21st ITF International Umpire Course.
During the theoretical part of the morning session we discussed and analyzed the rules of all events lead by Master Katz, useful explanations were added by Grand Master Bos and Master Vones shared exact and logical definitions, with special focus on the latest changes made in last December.
Master Katz emphasized several times that this seminar was a kind of workshop, and together with Grand Master Bos and Master Vones encouraged the participants to ask in order to create a useful and beneficial debate. The leaders think it is very important to create the rules of umpiring together making it better and better this way.
The Masters leading the Course gave clear answers to every dubious question, often illustrating them with visible examples.
During the afternoon session with the help of the experienced Masters everybody could practice how to use the hand signals and the procedure of the umpire team: correct order of the team, entering and leaving, bows, jury president, IT professionals, tasks of the center and corner referees and their communications. The sparring was the next in three rings simultaneously which were played by the experienced competitors of the organizing team presenting all the critical situations from an umpire’s point of view. Upon the direction of Master Katz and Master Vones the umpires were changed frequently in order to giving a chance to every participant to practice.
Closing the Saturday course Grand Master Bos, Master Katz and Master Vones summarized the main events of the day, and a photo was taken about the whole group, Masters and participants.
The next hours were spent with relaxation. At the dinner party a string quartet entertained the guests, and then the Masters conducting the course got a Hungarian present including a Rubik’s cube and a bottle of palinka from Péter Szász, the host of the event. To close the dinner party a huge marzipan cake with IUC tag on it was brought in, Grand Master Bos cut the first slice and the cake was divided between the guests who ate them gladly.
The Sunday morning session was again a practical course. First of all the rules of power test were detailed. Master Katz showed the correct gestures and the procedure, and focused on the mistakes and the incorrect performance.
After these the rules of special technique came. The Masters were bombed with a lot of questions which were clarified and made understandable by Master Katz and Master Vones.
A dozen of questions were clarified related to the pre-arranged sparring too.
The individual and team patterns were not left out neither, the critical details were also clarified by the Masters.
The course was excellently illustrated and made understandable by the video shots prepared by Master Katz and Master Vones in advance, which focused on and slowed the most important situations. By the request of the Masters Péter Szász, the organizer shared the video shots with the participants via email.
Although the program of the course was quite tight and difficult, the professional participants were continuously impressed by the well-prepared, open minded, sometimes playful, sometimes funny way of teaching of Grand Master Bos, Master Katz and Master Vones, even by their high level technical presentation.
In the name of the organizers we thank to the ITF that we had the chance to organize the 21st IUC in Hungary. We thank to Grand Master Wim Bos, especially to Master Alberto Katz, and Master Harry Vones for conducting the course on very high level, to Master Juan Ferrando and Master Coos van den Heuvel for their assistance and to the participants representing 24 countries for their coming and taking part in this event. We hope that you all enjoyed this great course and we are waiting for seeing you again on the ITF World Cup in 2016.
Thanks for the photos to Norbert Érseki (AETF reporter)
Dear Grand Masters, Masters, TKD Instructors, Country Representatives and Students,
As hosts of the next International Umpire Course we extend to you a very warm welcome.
Based on the approval of ITF Umpire Committee Chairman Master Alberto Katz, the Hungarian Taekwon-do Federation has the opportunity to organize the next International Umpire Course /IUC/ at the second weekend of February 2015, in Budapest.
The Course will be conducted by Grand Master Wim Bos, Master Alberto Katz and Master Harry Vones. During the Course there will be tests and examinations for International Class “A” and for Class “B” qualified Umpires as well.
This event is ideally to improve your umpiring skills for international level tournaments or refine your skills for the 2015. World Championship in Jesolo – Italy.
We hope that you will join this exciting Taekwon-do event.
Master László Harmat VIII.Degree
Hungarian Taekwon-do Federation
Mr. Péter Szász V. Degree
Hungarian IUC Organizing Committee
Download Information Letter and Application Form
- Grandmaster Willem Jacob Bos IX Dan (Director of the ITF and member of the ITF Technical & Instruction Committee)
- Master Alberto Katz VIII Dan (Chairman of the ITF Umpire Committee)
- Master Harry Vones VIII Dan (Member of the ITF Tournament Committe
- Open to: 1st Gup up to 9th Dan Black Belt
- Seminar fee: € 115 per participant
- Dinner Party: Saturday 14th February €35 per person (optional)
Booking and contact:
Booking your place on the IUC, Accomodation and Dinner Party.
Contact person: Mr. Péter Szász V. Degree, Chairman, Hungarian IUC Organizing Committee
Please send the completed IUC application form to Mr. Szász and please transfer the calculated prepayment to the following bank account:
- Bank: CIB Bank Zrt.
- Name: TKD SPIRIT EGYESULET
- GIRO account number: 10701362-22656805-50000005
- IBAN: HU93-1070-1362-2265-6805-5000-0005
- BIC: CIBH HU HB
- Transaction comment: IUC 2015, Name of Participant, Country
Deadline: January 9th , 2015
Danubius Health Spa Resort Helia Hotel ****
- 1 bed room – 1 Night: 90 EUR
- 2 bed room – 1 Night: 60 EUR/Person
- Breakfast is included
- Lunch, Dinner: + 18 EUR / time
- Address: 1133 Budapest, district XIII, 62-64 Kárpát street
- GPS Coordinates: N 47°31’32” E 19°3’21”
- Venue details see below.
- Friday 13rd February
• Arrival of participants and registration in the Danubius Health Spa Resort Helia Hotel registration point from 14:00 p.m. to 21:00 p.m. You are kindly requested to inform us in advance if you can’t arrive during the given time period.
• Please note that the remaining fees (course, accommodation, lunch, dinner, Dinner Party) have to be paid directly to the organizing team at your arrival in the hotel. We only accept EURO currency.
- Saturday 14th February
• IUC Part I: 9:00 hrs – 13:00 hrs in the Danubius Health Spa Resort Helia Hotel, Helia Conference room.
• Lunch break: 13:00 hrs – 14:00 hrs: Quick lunch time in the Jupiter Restaurant of the Hotel or Buffet lunch (18 Euro), which must be booked in advance in the application form.
• IUC Part II: 14:00 hrs – 18:00hrs in the Danubius Health Spa Resort Helia Hotel, Helia Conference room.
• Dinner Party: from 20:00 hrs Dinner Party with Grandmaster Bos, Master Katz and Master Vones. 35 Euro per person. The Dinner Party must be booked in advance in the application form.
- Sunday 15th February
• IUC Part III: 9:00hrs – 13:00hrs in the Danubius Health Spa Resort Helia Hotel, Helia Conference room.
• Closing: 13:00hrs making photos and closing of the Course.
- Monday 16th February
• Departure or stay for holiday.
- Spectators: No Spectators are allowed during the IUC.
- Filming and/or photographs taken – only by approval of the IUC Conducting Team.
- Certificate: The IUC certificate of participation will be issued to those who completed the full course.
About the local area:
- Currency: Hungarian Forint (HUF) is the national currency (At the Course only Euro is accepted!). Rate: 1 EUR is ~305 HUF
- Electricity: 220V AC, at 50Hz
- Time Zone: CET (GMT+1)
- How to get there:
From Airport to the Hotel:
• Airport transfer: 8 Euro per person. (must be booked in advance in the application form)
• Taxi: ~26 km, ~30 Euro
• public transfer: From Airport with Bus “200E” to Kőbánya-Kispest Underground station. Then by Underground M3 to Dózsa György Street than 600 Meters on foot.
In the Airport on Departure side it can buy public transport tickets or cards in the Post office. It can buy Budapest tickets for 24 or 72 hours. On Departure side in Tourist Information – Budapestinfo Pont desks it can buy Budapest Card for 24, 48 or 72 hours, which can be used for public transport and other discounts. More information about Budapest Card: budapest-card.com.
Danubius Health Spa Resort Helia Hotel ****
- Check-in & Check-out Check-in time: 14:00 Check-out time: 10:00
- “City and spa”
A place where you can mix business with relaxation! Conference hotel with spa and wellness complex on the bank of the Danube, opposite Margaret Island. 15 minutes from the historical city centre. Relax and recharge! Swim in the large pool and enjoy the breathtaking panorama from the two-storey fitness club. Everything to keep you fit! Jogging path, tennis, rowing, cycling and lidos on the nearby Margaret Island. Steer clear of the traffic jams! Spacious car and bus park just outside the hotel. 26km from Liszt Ferenc Airport,9 km from the Eastern Railway Station.
Comfortable and well-equipped rooms with double bed or two separate beds, overlooking the city (Pest side).
Room facilities: air-conditioning, soundproof windows, bathroom with bath, hairdryer, bathrobe, safe deposit box, minibar, tea/coffee maker, TV with cable channels and pay-per-view channels, radio channels and alarm function, wake up call, room service, telephone, free WiFi. On request: iron and ironing board, crib or extra child’s bed Room size: 20 m2
• Jupiter Restaurant
The Jupiter Restaurant offers a wide range of Hungarian, International and vegetarian-friendly cuisine, enhanced by live music at noon and in the evenings. Within the Danubius Healthy Choice program, an assortment of healthy light dishes and organic food is offered to all of our health-conscious guests.
Open: 7:00 – 10:00, 12:00 – 15:00, 18:00 – 22:00
• Coffee Shop
Our Coffee Shop, located in the lobby, at the poolside and on the terrace, provides wellness menus, drinks, cake selections, tea and coffee specialities. During the afternoon “Happy Hours” between 16:00 and 18:00, you can enjoy cocktails at half price. Opening hours: in the lobby: 8:00 – midnight; at poolside: 8:00 – 22:00; on the terrace: 10:00 – 23:00
- SPA & WELLNESS
• Spa water world: At Danubius Health Spa Resort Helia Hotel we offer an extensive water world with the following facilities (the room price includes the use of the hotel’s spa, water world): Indoor swimming pool (17.5 x 7.8 m, 26-28°C), Thermal baths (7.8 x 5.3 m, 32-34°C, 5.3 x 5.3 x 3.1 m, 36-38°C), Jacuzzi, Steam baths and saunas separately for women and men, infra-sauna, solarium, Sun terrace
• Wellness services: Our wellness treatments and services focus on relaxation, re-energising, beauty and fitness programmes, and utilising the relaxing effects of thermal waters.
• Relaxation: Wellness massages, Wellness baths, Salt cave
• Beauty: Helia Cosmetics and Hair Salon, Pedicure and treatments for refreshing feet
• Fitness: Danubius Premier Fitness – personal fitness consultation, strength and cardio equipment, cycling, running, Various classes: aerobic, spinning, stretching, pilates, yoga, aqua fitness. Download our Aerobic